SACRAMENTO – Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. today announced that he signed legislation to expand and protect the rights of women and the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community in California.
The Governor signed the following bills today:
• AB 496 by Assemblymember Richard S. Gordon (D-Los Altos): Includes information about the appropriate care and treatment of LGBT and intersex communities in continuing medical education.
• AB 1577 by Assemblymember Toni G. Atkins (D-San Diego): Requires death certificates to indicate the decedent’s sex reflecting their gender identity as reported by the decedent or a source best qualified to supply such information.
• AB 1579 by Assemblymember Mark Stone (D-Scotts Valley): AB 1579: Establishes the Healthy Babies Act of 2014, which allows pregnant women in the second trimester to receive CalWORKs assistance if they meet certain eligibility.
• AB 1678 by Assemblymember Richard S. Gordon (D-Los Altos): Extends provisions of the utilities’ Supplier Diversity Program, administered by the California Public Utilities Commission to LGBT business enterprises.
• AB 1787 by Assemblymember Bonnie Lowenthal (D-Long Beach): Requires large commercial airports to provide lactation rooms separate from restrooms behind security.
• AB 2089 by Assemblymember Bill Quirk (D-Hayward): Clarifies and strengthens the Domestic Violence Prevention Act and requires courts that deny petitions for protective orders provide a statement of reasons for the decisions.
• AB 2344 by Assemblymember Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco): Establishes statutory forms to allow intended parents to state their intention to parent a child being conceived through assisted reproduction.
• AB 2350 by Assemblymember Susan Bonilla (D-Concord): Prevents pregnancy discrimination in postsecondary educational institutions by prohibiting institutions from requiring students to take a leave of absence for pregnancy or pregnancy-related issues and allows students to return in good standing if they choose to take a leave of absence for pregnancy or child birth.
• SB 910 by Senator Fran Pavley (D-Agoura Hills): Expands for the purposes of issuing a protective order the definition of domestic violence to include violence against a child of a party to domestic violence court proceedings.
For full text of the bills, visit: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov