Locate Current Road Conditions

Locate Current Road Conditions

California Highway Patrol (CHP)

For up-to-date information on current road conditions, choose from a list of CHP Communication Centers.

General Information: 800-835-5247 (non-emergency situation)

Frequently Asked Questions

  • First attend to the medical needs of anyone involved. Call 911 if necessary-but remember that 911 is for emergencies only.
  • When there are no injuries, move your vehicle out of traffic to the nearest place of safety.
  • Notify the Department of the California Highway Patrol or the police department of the city in which the collision occurred.
  • Exchange driver license, vehicle registration, and insurance information with the other driver or drivers.
  • Do not accept or place any blame. Your insurance company has people trained to determine who is at fault.
  • Gather contact information from possible witnesses.
  • Take a moment to write down details of the collision, such as time of day, traffic conditions, weather conditions, and the events that led up to the collision.
  • Remember, vehicle collisions are not accidents. An alcohol related vehicle collision is just that, a vehicle collision, because the term "accident" implies that these collisions, deaths, and injuries are unavoidable. In fact, alcohol related collisions are predictable and preventable because drinking and driving is the conscious choice of the driver. Never drink and drive or ride with someone who has been drinking. Please be responsible.

Need to report a potentially hazardous traffic condition? Your local CHP can help resolve the issue.

You can report a traffic related issue in one of the following ways:

  • visiting the office nearest your location in person and detailing your traffic complaint to the watch officer (Find an Office).
  • By calling the office nearest to the problem location via telephone, Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Related Links

Contact Us

​How to Contact Us​. The CHP's Mission is to keep you safe. It is our sworn duty to go above and beyond the call of duty to prevent loss of life, injuries, and ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/home/contact-us

Result thumbnail image Notify CHP

​The California Highway Patrol remains committed in keeping the public safe ... please click the link above to locate the Regional Threat Awareness Center for ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp

Result thumbnail image 1-800-TELL-CHP (1-800-835-5247)

... telephone number is to provide the public with an easily recognizable telephone number that can be used to contact the California Highway Patrol ( CHP). https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/1-800-tell-chp-(1-800-835-5247)

Result thumbnail image (255) San Andreas

Home · Find an OfficeCurrently selected · Notify CHP · News & Alerts · Traffic · Programs & Services · CHP Careers · contact · commend / complain · about · forms ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/find-an-office/valley-division/offices/(255)-san-andreas

Result thumbnail image Find an Office

To locate your nearest Area Office, use the search box or division map below. ... The Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol is responsible for one of the ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/find-an-office

Result thumbnail image Commercial Vehicle Section

Home · Find an Office · Notify CHP · News & Alerts · Traffic · Programs & Services Currently selected · CHP Careers · contact · commend / complain · about · forms ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/programs-services/programs/commercial-vehicle-section

Silver Alert

Upon activation of a Silver Alert, the California Highway Patrol will assist the ... health, mental or physical disability, environment or weather conditions, that the ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/news-alerts/silver-alert

Result thumbnail image California Highway Patrol Officer

​Before You Apply. 1.) Check out the CHP map >>CLICK HERE<<. 2.) Check out the test schedule >>CLICK HERE<<. 3.) You will take the Physical Abilities ... https://www.chp.ca.gov/chp-careers/officer